About the project LIFE Capacity Building Slovenia
LIFE Capacity Building Slovenia is a Slovenian LIFE project, implemented by Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning. This project is aimed at all who are interested in LIFE programme and would like to actively participate in the projects as applicant, partner or co-financer.
Project title: LIFE Capacity Building Slovenia
Project acronym: LIFE CB SI
Project number: LIFE14 CAP/SI/000012
Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning
Duration: 01/01/2016 – 30/06/2018, extended till 30/06/2019
Total project budget: 1.218.146,00 €
EU financial contribution: 981.330,00 €
The LIFE programme is the EU’s funding instrument for the environment, nature conservation and climate action. The first projects from Slovenia submitted for LIFE programme were in 2000. Since then a consistently small number of project proposals was submitted from Slovenia accompanied by a low success rate. This meant that fewer funds were received by Slovenian beneficiaries than it was initially reserved. There are several reasons for this, but certainly the lack of human resources at the ministry allocated to the implementation of the LIFE programme in the Republic of Slovenia is one of them. Therefore the Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning (MESP) seized an opportunity to obtain non-refundable funding for improving administrative capacity in this field. In order to promote the LIFE programme, a project tittled LIFE Capacity Building Slovenia was prepared and approved by European Commission at the end of 2015.
The project is primarily aimed at enhancing knowledge of the preparation and management of projects under the terms of the LIFE programme.
Main goals of the project are:
- to improve the quantity and quality of MESP’s activities for implementation of LIFE programme;
- to improve Slovenia’s effectiveness at implementation of LIFE programme (higher success rate of project proposals, better connection with the policy implementation);
- Better promotion of results and their integration into policies and programmes.
LIFE CB SI project aims at:
- increasing interest in LIFE programme;
- improving knowledge on writing project proposals for LIFE programme co-financing as well as on project management of approved projects;
- fostering and disseminating project management skills thereby empowering a project based approach to tackling environmental challenges;
- demonstrating synergies between LIFE programme and other EU financial instruments in achieving the objectives of environmental policy, programmes and strategies and to increase the competence of using those resources;
- increasing international (regional) cooperation in order to increase the resolution of trans boundary environmental issues;
- increasing the number and quality of LIFE programme project proposals aimed at implementation of national priorities of environmental acquis;
- improving coordination among competent authorities for the preparation of larger, more complex integrated projects, aiming at the implementation of national action programs;
- sharing information on financial instruments as possible financial sources for financing LIFE projects.
A 3 SCREENING OF NATIONAL PRIORITIES ( (all documents are in Slovene)
Analyses of national priorities of Republic of Slovenia were prepared for all priority areas of sub-programme for environment:
- Nature and Biodiversity (including the relevant thematic priorities from priority area Environmental Governance and Information);
- Environment and Resource Efficiency and Environmental Governance and Information (except thematic priorities from Nature and Biodiversity):
For sub-programme for climate action legal expertise was prepared, identifying technical possibilities and potentials for preparation of project proposals for priority area Climate Change Mitigation, which can be prepared by Slovenian companies from energy intensive industries.
A 4 TRAIN THE TRAINERS
A 4.4. Study visits
A4.4.1. Study visits to competent authorities in other Member States
A 4.4.2. Study visits to “best of the best” LIFE projects
STATUS: 3 study visits performed in October 2017
A 4.4.3. Study visits to coordinating beneficiary of IP LIFE projects
STATUS: 5 study visits planned; two were visited during LIFE IP kick-off meeting in Helsinki in February 2017 (water – LIFE14 IPE/FI/000023, waste – LIFE15 IPE/FI/000004). The IP visit for nature was performed in 2018, for air in 2019, the IP study visit for climate change will be performed in May 2019.
A6 TRAININGS/ WORKSHOPS FOR POTENTIAL PROJECT APPLICANTS
A 6.1. GENERAL TRAINING – update
A 6.2. TRAINING ON DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT LIFE
STATUS: 2 workshops organized in 2016, 1 workshops organized in May (for Environment) of 2017 (for Nature and Climate changes canceled due to insufficient number of registrations), 1 workshop for all priority areas organized in 2018 (link), the last workshop was organized in April 2019.
A 6.3. WRITTER’s WORKSHOP’s ON PARTICULAR SUB PROGRAMME
STATUS: 1st writter’s workshop organized in March 2017,second in May 2017, next one on 13th of June 2017, 3 organized in 2018 (January, March in April), 3 workshops performed in 2019 (January, February and March).
A 6.4. TRAININGS ON LIFE INTEGRATED PROJECTS
A 6.6. TRAINING’s ON LIFE FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS
A 7 CONSULTATION & EXPERT SUPPORT
STATUS: Completed (28 bilateral meetings in 2016, 48 in 2017, 77 in 2018 and 33 in 2019).
A 9 PROMOTION OF INTEGRATION, COMPLEMENTARITY, SYNERGIES AD REPLICABILITY OF THE LIFE PROGRAMME INTO POLICIES, ECONOMIC PROGRAMMES AND OTHER PROGRAMMES
C 5 Web streaming of all EVENTS
C 6. RAISING AWARENESS ON LIFE program
C 6.1. Brochure
C 7 FILMS/ WEBINAR VIDEO SERIES
C 7.1 LIFE webinar video series: »How to« for new project applicants (also for rejected applicants)
C 7.2 LIFE webinar video series: “How to” for applicants awarded Life financing
C 8 NETWORKING PLATFORM
STATUS: Platform active
C 9 NEWLETTERS FOR DISSEMINATION OF INFORMATION ON LIFE PROGRAMME ACTIVITIES
STATUS: Completed – Newsletters ware send on monthly basis
C 10 NETWORKING CONFERENCE
D 2 AFTER LIFE PLAN
LIFE CB SI Team:
M.Sc. Julijana Lebez Lozej
Head of priority area Nature and Biodiversity, LIFE CB SI project leader
M.Sc. Nives Nared
Head of sub-programme for Climate Action
Tatjana Orhini Valjavec
Head of priority area Environment and Resource Efficiency
Priority area Nature and Biodiversity
Marjetka Šemrl dos Reis
Priority area Environment and Resource Efficiency
Priority area Environment and Resource Efficiency